Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Safe all-purpose cleanser recipe

Several months ago I had been looking for a safe, chemical-free cleanser to use on my kitchen counters and for general cleaning. I found several on the internet that seemed ok, and then I saw this one on Dr. Oz. It was developed by Dr. Gary Ginsberg who is a toxicologist. It's my new favorite cleaner. I don't always put the Borax in, and I haven't noticed a major difference without it. I usually put more essential oils to cover the vinegar scent a little more. The vinegar smell will not linger once the surface dries.

All-purpose cleanser
1 tbsp of Borax powder (find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket)
3 tbsps of white vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of dish soap
1 drop of essential oil

Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well. Shake before using as well.

Some of my favorite essential oils to clean with are lemon, orange, peppermint & rosemary, and white fir which is especially nice during the holidays. You can get creative and try a blend or just pick one oil. Many of the essential oils also have antibacterial and antiviral properties.

*Caution: Be careful when using vinegar on granite. I don't have granite countertops, but I have heard that vinegar can damage some types of granite sealer.


What's your favorite chemical-free way to clean?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...