Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Back in the studio

Last night I taught a ballet class.

I have been in love with ballet since I started taking classes at age thirteen. I have not taken class regularly since I graduated from college. There are many different emotions I experience when I dance. Some days, dancing was a way to calm myself after a terrible day, a place where I could dance away my worries. Other days, those ninety minutes were a place I could focus my energy and work on perfecting my technique. I could push myself to do things better than I had before.



Ballet is about striving for the unattainable perfection. You can always lift your leg a little higher, jump further, or do another pirouette. That is what makes it so beautiful. A dancer should constantly evolving. You can dance every day of your life and continue to learn. You continue to improve and push yourself beyond where you have been before.



It was through ballet that I learned some of the most valuable lessons in my life. Dedication. Passion. Control. Disappointment. Joy. Frustration. Reaching. Beauty. Strength. Growth.



And so it is with life.

I'm thrilled to be teaching again. It's been far too long since I have been in a ballet studio on a regular basis. I am excited to share what I have learned through the years with the girls I will am teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...